Sunday, May 3, 2015

Analyzing TED Talks

I am a big fan of TED, whether it's edTedTEDx, or TEDxYouth


Adapted from Audrey Lee, MSUSD
   I like that the talks are short, yet still very thought provoking. I really wanted to use them in my class, but do it in a meaningful way. I didn't want to just show a video and say there you go, think about that. I adapted a four C's graphic organizer to make it applicable to watching a TED talk, and now we have TED Talk Tuesdays. My class really enjoys TED Talk Tuesday and if we miss it for some reason, they always grumble in disappointment. I've linked to a google doc that you can download and print.
   It does take a little behind the scenes work to find the right TED talks, so I have included a top ten list of my favorite TEDs. In the beginning, I spent a great amount of time trying to find talks that went with our current curriculum, but I have since let that go in favor of talks that will get them thinking about the bigger picture, making real life connections, asking questions, or questioning themselves. My students have gotten really great at connecting to what we are learning, so I feel like I am taking something away from them if I make it so obvious by showing a talk on river systems when we are learning about the agricultural practices of ancient civilizations.

12 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Thank you so much. PM Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, Maryland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started using TED Talks this year with my students! Love it! How do you evaluate the assignment? Do you have a grading scale rubric you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love TED Talks and have been looking for a better way to incorporate them into my classroom culture! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some honest ideas about the TED conference share here I really get many information and discovered most peoples will agree with your blog.
    TED conference

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Ted Talks as well and have been wondering how to go beyond just discussing them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the fabulous info. I appreciate the work that has gone into this! Zay from California

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Heather, for sharing this! I look forward to sharing this with the teachers I work with. TED talks are great and now you've given me a way to use them in the classroom. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Heather. I just stumbled across your blog because it popped up on my Pinterest link. Here I am, waaay less than a week out of the classroom for the summer, and in my bit of personal time I'm thinking/planning/strategizing for next school year!! What is WRONG with us?! Teachers that is. Lol..
    Anyway, I love your idea. Thanks for sharing a simpler way to incorporate TED. I too am a big fan of the Talks..even have played with the idea of doing one :) Your ideas for implementing them seem smooth and "user friendly." I'll be trying this strategy come August. Appreciate it Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Audrey, thanks so much for sharing your ideas and insight on Ted Talks! Tessie from Israel.

    ReplyDelete