Sunday, February 8, 2015

Ms. Marshall and the "Tear-able", Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Why I Love Teaching

Ms. Marshall and the "Tear-able", Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

This past week I had a very, very tough day.  Alexander and the terrible, horrible kind of bad.  One of those days that makes you wonder if maybe you've been teaching for too long, or maybe you shouldn't have become a teacher at all.  One of those days where you turn into "that" teacher.  One of those days where you feel like you're going to want to call a sub for a mental health day and just not come back.  I hope I'm not alone here.  I have to believe I'm not the only one that's not perfect.

So I come home still all frazzled, and stressed, and feeling generally irritated.  I give myself a little "time-out" to pull myself together again-just me, my iPad, my cup of tea, and Pinterest.  I know a mindful sit would have been better, but just wait, it's all going to work out in the end.

I'm swiping through pins and I come across this gem and I have a light bulb moment. Can it be that easy really? I had a seriously negative vibe going on in my classroom, could a piece a paper really solve the problem? 



I always share an inspirational quote on my agenda for the day.  That day I chose: “The only time you should look down at someone, is when you are helping them up.” Jesse Jackson I shared the quote, a few students volunteered to share what it meant to them and then I pointed out this piece of paper on the news board.  I explained how the slips of paper at the bottom were cut so that they could be torn off.  I told them that if they needed one, take it.  When you no longer need it pass it on.  

By the time second period came around, which is usually my worst class of the day, my piece of paper looked like this.  But the best part was every few minutes I'd hear someone go "Awwww!" and I knew why.  Before the class was over, someone discreetly left one on my desk and it said, "You can do it!" And I too went "Awww".  I had to laugh a little because it was just the message I needed.  I think I learned the most that day.  My enduring understanding:  a little bit of positivity goes a long way.

And that is why I #LoveTeaching 

No comments:

Post a Comment